Saturday, April 2, 2011

"The Mother" by Gwendolyn Brooks pg. 634

Not that I really cared for the poem as a favorite but I got the message behind it. The speaker of the poem is a mother who is talking about the abortions that she has had. She is talking to all the children and how she did love them though she never let them breath air or suck her breast and their thumbs. It really touched me because abortions are final and there are a lot of things that you take away from that child. This is a very touchy subject in the world today. I'm Pro-Life so it really bothers me but the speaker of this poem really went into detail of all the things she was able to make decision about and terminate. She kept saying she loved them, loved them all but she ended their lives in the blink of an eye.

5 comments:

  1. I chose this one as one of the poems that really touched me to. It was quite sad and makes you wonder what happened for her to have to make this decision. It is also appalling to the fact that she seems to be talking to more than one unborn child. What happened in this woman's life to abort the children, it makes me wonder. I know there are reasons behind everyone's decisions and some are so much painful than others. I do believe in abortion to a point but for a reason to come along that you would abort multiple times is very saddening. I know myself, I would hate to have to choose something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this poem bothered me also. I mean how can you love somethin you never gave a chance to be a part of the life we know. I mean her fetus was actually a living being and to say you love something you terminated doesn't make sense to me. Maybe saying she love her children makes her feel better about what she done. I am Pro-life also, and I don't stand by abortions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for taking the time to read my blog. I'm with you both. I just don't understand what the author was thinking with writing the poem and was it from her personal life? It was almost as if she was being tormented by the children, who's life she stole away. We are in control of our own destiny and will have to answer for our choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading this poem, I could only imagine it had to be something of great torment to this woman. At least being a mother at the very young age of nineteen, the choice of abortion was never in my plan. Our lives all head down differnt paths and to think this woman used abortion as a form of birth control is horrible. I would rather believe it was something different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree Angeline. But that is the reality of it. It happens more times than we can count and its very heartbreaking. Again there are also so many children that are born into families that don't want them and treat them as if they are in the way. I love my children and every moment I can spend with them I do!!! Thanks for taking time to read my blog and share your thoughts:)

    ReplyDelete