Saturday, April 2, 2011

"Where I Come From" by Elizabeth Brewster pg. 696

This poem sent my mind soaring! It wasn't my favorite but I felt it, if that makes sense. When the author begins to describe the people and what they bring with them I could actually picture certain people and the way they dress and the familiar smells I've smelled. Some more obvious than others but I could just picture in my mind the people I see in town or on my job and without even knowing them I can tell or should I say assume what they do and where they are from. It is amazing to me that we can be that observant and yet be stereotypical. Some will surprise you but we tend to take in and take shape of where we come from. I've borrowed clothes, bags, etc. from friends before and just the smell makes me say, "this smells like her house." Some people just have a familiar smell and when they are not around and I get a hint it makes me think of them. My grandmother passed away in October of 2006 and every now and then I will get a smell of menthol cigarette and I think of her! That just made my heart smile:)

2 comments:

  1. That is so neat that you recall smells like that too! I do that all the time. Smells of my childhood or just smells of good memories. It truly does make your heart smile when you are able to remember special things that you have experienced!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that happens to you too! It is really nice to rekindle those memories although some came be sad ones:( Thank you for taking time to read my blog and share your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete